Monday, February 21, 2011

Family Day Weekend

Today marks the end of a long weekend for us here as we celebrated Family Day. Our youngest was very sick this weekend with some sort of stomach bug, unfortunatly, so a lot of time was spent on washing laundry- sheets, clothes, towels etc. While my two older children somewhat understood that some of our plans couldnt go forth because of the wee boy being sick, they were a little dissapointed. I think that happens a lot when things dont go our way, we get upset or frustrated, just plain "bummed out". I know Im guilty of it! There was a lot of complaining Sunday morning because we could not attend church even by me, praying that he would get better right before we would have to leave, and also that we could not go out anywhere as a family because Zayden just couldnt stop being sick today, and there was no way I was going to wrap my son up on my back in a carrier and have him throw up all down my back... not my cup of tea LOL. In the end the kids finally gave up sulking and said "what can I do to make this situation very wonderful and fun?" And fun they did make it!

Sunday while it was colder than it has been the past week, they decided to go outside and bike, only to find out that it was mud that was in the agenda. My middle child who is very wise and sneaky asked me for a cup of water for outside so he could "drink it" and while I did watch him have a sip, the next time I checked on them they were COVERED head to toe in mud!!! the ground might have been slightly frozen and the mud not quite mud, but he found a way to make it as muddy as possible!


Today we decided to keep the mess inside and limited to

the kitchen and made some goopy stuff with cornstarch and water... The kids had a BLAST and made quite the mess in the process but it kept them occupied while we tended to our youngest. The kids found it to be "the funniest stuff ever". My husband and I even played with the goop for a moment laughing at its craziness.

As I watched them play with such amazement with something so simple to make I wondered if God giggled when He decided that adding water to cornstarch would make such a fun mess? "Boy they are going to get a kick out of this!"

Psalm 127:3 says that "Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him." (NLT)

There is such truth to that! This weekend was such a celebration of just how much of a blessing our children have been in our life! Even if it began with a rough start, it worked out so beautifully. It was such a simple and fun weekend! And I thank God for the laughs we shared! (And the mess)

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you :)

    Here is a link to Brooklyn singing a beautiful song :) I know you will love it :)

    Tanya
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioBgeq2fg8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing Brooklyn singing with me Tanya!!! She is so beautiful and she sounds so wonderful!!!!!!

    We should get together sometime! Miss ya! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your little man asked for a cup of water!! hahahaha they look so muddy and happy! Thanks for sharing Candace!

    ReplyDelete