Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How simple it is to be a follower of Christ

This has been on my heart to make a blog post about this for a while, not exactically sure why, but I feel like God wants me to post this stuff so here it goes <3 

When I became a Christian after following different religions for about 7ish years of my life, I thought "jeez this is going to be hard. All these rules, this big HUUUGE boring book that Im going to have to read to try and understand... Im loosing control over my life.  I wont be able to do the things I want to do."  I struggled for a long time in my faith in Christ... not because its hard to love Him, I find it quite easy to love the living God who died for me and gave me His Spirit and everlasting life. 

I had a hard time for a while believing that Christ is the ONLY way to God, that its being a follower of Jesus that is giving us eternal life... I had a hard time with that.  But it is said much more than once through the Bible. 

Jesus says in John 14:6  (The Message version)

 "I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him. You've even seen him!"

also in Acts 4:12 (New International Version)


 "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”


The first few years in my walk with Christ - I have been a Christian for 6 years, were hard, I would hear a lot of things that would stick, but I may not have really chewed on them or tried to understand fully.   I had amazing Christian people around me willing to answer my questions and that was fantastic. 

The past I'd say 3 years have been my most amazing Christian years so far.  I WANT to read God's Word.  The words that are not just guidelines, but the words Holy Spirit spoke through these people, to teach us God's love.  There isnt a time that I read the Bible that I dont get something out of it now, because I am fully putting my trust in God that he is Truth.  Before it was so hard, I didnt trust Him.  Boy, what a difference it makes. To listen for Him as I am reading.  Its so awesome.

Someone once said to me "How can you go from a faith that is so fun looking, to a faith that you sit in Church and sing hymns and listen to some guy talk for an hour?  I couldnt do that.  No way."

My walk with Christ has been so not boring, its different every day.  I see God not only in Scripture, I see Him in everthing that grows from the earth, His creation He gave to us to take care of and enjoy.  I feel God in myself because He has given us Holy Spirit within us that gives us a power I still dont fully appreciate to the fullest in my opinion and I have been really praying that God will help me understand His Spirit more and more each day.  I hear Him when I hear His word spoken.  I feel Him tons during worship time, feel His Spirit pour over the Church with such a feeling of Love I have never felt anywhere else so strong.  I have heard Him in so many ways and could share many moments,  the way God speaks to us is so diverse. He speaks to us in ways that work perfect for us.  And when God speaks, you KNOW its God. 

And to be honest, people reading this who havent experienced God's Love to its fullest wont get it.  You want to experience it, start looking at your local Churches, find the one that is right for your needs as a follower of Jesus Christ.  You may need to go to one, or two , three or four till you find the one that you feel at home in.  It might be a hop skip and a jump from your home or across town.  Some Churches can be more traditional, or really up beat and vibrant, or somewhere in between.  The importance is to find the one that works for you and your family.  I think that surrounding yourself with people who also walk in faith is so important because you are going to have questions and if you dont have anyone to ask about them and even help you in your learning, then you may struggle in your walk with Christ as your Saviour.  

Being a Christian isnt hard, and it isnt throwing your "fun life away", heard that one many times!  What have you got to loose really?  A life where you have a God who loves you so much, who died for you, wants to have a relationship with you constantly, to speak to you and allows you to speak to Him anytime!  All that is required is that you accept Him as your saviour and to walk a life that reflects His forgiving unfailing Love.  You dont have to understand everything, He'll show you everything He wants you to understand as time goes by.  His timing is perfect!  Im the furthest thing I think from being religious as I can be if that makes sense. Jesus is my Saviour. I am a follower of Christ.  Its a relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment