Tuesday, July 5, 2011

unfading beauty

Kids can be cruel.

 
My daughter who just finished grade one has been dealing with the meanness of other girls in her school and neighbourhood for far to long... and she's only in grade one, and Im rather frustrated.  She is not the kindest person on days either, and I have to constantly remind her of who's example we should follow, and that is the example of Christ.

The way girls think its okay to think,  the way that girls think its okay to act, or teach is horrid in my opinion. Im not saying all my daughters girlfriends are a bad influence but there have been a fair amount of them that I have had to speak too about their attitutes.  She is very blessed to have a few really good friends who besides the occasional arguement and dissagrement are okay. 

The music she has been exposed to and has talked to me about made me cringe, the discriptions of monkeys on pianos making sexual gestures are things she has viewed either at school or at a friends house.  I have NO idea what she was talking about and was just horrified.  This is not something a six year old (or anyone for that matter) needs to view.  The fact that young girls think its okay to dress provocativly, strut their stuff and think they are "all that" worries me.  I was a teenager once too..but these kids are in public school!

Even television programs that I would normally allow her and her brothers to watch, God has been convicting me and teaching me that this stuff is not helping them grow up to be what He has called them to be.

The fact that my six year old daughter has asked me already if she is "fat", if she is "really that pretty?  Am I sexy Mom?" 

The questions she asks "well my friend has this thing why cant I have it!"  When are people going to realize possesions make you no better of a person?  Just because you have nice things doesnt make you a good person, having a good heart does. 

Can I tell you I just want to rip her out of school, put her in a bubble and protect her from all the crazy notions of this earth?

Obviously keeping her in a bubble her entire life is something I cant do, homeschool..maybe but that is something I have to pray hard about and my husband and I need to be on the same page and right now, we are not. 

1 Peter 3:3-4
Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.


I read a great blog post earlier this year on the Counter-Culture Child and it was a terrific read.  She writes 


"As a Christian parent, I want to make sure that I am raising children who not only aren't afraid to live differently in our culture (the culture of the Empire, as Shane Claiborne would say), but who also aren't afraid to stand up for what is solid and true, even when that is contrary to Church Culture."

 I know the standards (God's standards) are not the standards of the worlds and I know my children might have it harder because they may not follow the crowd. 

Scripture tells us in
Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.


what is the way they should go?  Because we are a part of the body of Christ and have been called to follow Him, He is who we follow.

Together you are the body of Christ. Each one of you is part of his body - 1 Corinthians 12:27 (CEV)

My children are part of Christ's body and have His Spirit, and His Spirit is:


love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)
I dont think this is how the world really operates anymore.  But with prayer and God's protection I hope that they can make it through, without going down the routes I did, and never loose sight of whats important - pleasing HIM and not the world.


God's Spirt is going to help us raising these children, this precious girl who has been so violated already at six by the worlds view and these boys who are begining to learn the world is not so happy go lucky.
He's going to stand next to us, lock arms with us, and we are going to have His strength to raise these children to stand firm in their faith.  To follow Christ.  Because isnt that all that matters?

For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death.
Psalm 48:14

2 comments:

  1. Hi. found you at Ann's multitude mondays. This post on girls and the meanness and the treacherous path of parenting resonates with me. I have 2 girls -- 9 and 16 and two boys, as well. We have run the gammut of mean-spirited friends and the tainted value system of the world. One word of encouragement: invest in your children. Pour into them with authentic, intentional, God-seeking love. THAT is how we change the world, by giving the world young people who know who they are in Christ, because we discipled them. The world is cruel and the enemy's playground -- our kids are the little lights in a dark universe. Be encouraged, and keep parenting intentionally :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Alyssa for your comment it means a lot. "our kids are little lights in a dark universe." I love that. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete