Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Will we homeschool??

Since the end of the school year I have felt this almost desperation to homeschool our children. I have been on countless webpages, looked at pages and pages of cirriculum, talked to many Moms about homeschooling, gotten so many points of view, a majority positive.  We have taken this to the Lord, knowing full out that we want God's will to be done in this and not our own.  If it is God's desire for our children to be in public school (knowing that they may be the only children who bring Christ to the school), or to be homeschooled, we want it to be His decision. 


My husband and I have been having discussions about it for weeks now, both of us are not quite on the same page yet.  We are still waiting on our answer from God.  God knows what is best for our children and He wants to give us the best option for them.  Even though I am very passionate for homeschooling, that may not be what God is passionate about for our children.   Even though my husband is very passionate about public school, that may not be what is God is passionate about for our children.  James 4:3 says "you ask and do not recieve because you ask wrongly, so you can spend it on your passions. "  I constantly pray that God's will would be done in this, not our own. 


I have no problem with the way my childrens school has educated my daughter so far and our youngest will be going to junior kindergarden (preschool basically for you Americans reading this.  Canada has two kindergardens, JK is not manditory)   I have liked the teachers, I like the programs.   But they are bringing much more home with them than just their education and that is also something we need control of. 


Im not afraid of our children not being socialized, I know homeschooled children get alot of socializing in other places than a school yard.  Im not afraid of not being able to teach them what they need to know because I know God will give me the strength to get through the tough moments.  I know that even the teachers have a hard time getting things organized, no one who educates is perfect. I sometimes worry about the critisism we are recieving from people who dont understand why we would do it, or if we can do it.  But God keeps reminding me that its not up to them, that its up to Him and my husband and I, and thats it!
Prayer prayer prayer.  Everytime I look at my children Im praying for our answer.  Every time I look at our diningroom table I pray for an answer, their backpacks, their sneakers.  Everything latley reminds me of our options.  

 Luke 11:9-10  “So I tell you: Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you.  For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened"

Philippians 4:19 "And my God will supply your every need according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."


We sit and we pray and we wait for the answer God has for us.  Waiting for the green light for whatever it is.  Somedays more paitient than others, but always waiting on God to show us the way.  And if you are reading this and feel compeled to pray for God decision in this as well, I thank you in advance, we appreciate it and will let everyone know His decision. 

6 comments:

  1. It's a hard hard choice. We are sending Ayden to JK to try it out. I personally feel that I would not be an good educator for him and that likely he would thrive when among others his age. But as you said it's what they bring home from school that worries me. And not the school work. God will give you an answer and it will the one that challenges you the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be in prayer with you as you make this decision. I can tell you when went through the same struggles 14 years ago, but once God started laying it on my heart I couldn't escape it. It was the BEST parenting decision we ever made. Our family is so much closer now. God has blessed us in so many ways, homeschooling is just a part of who we are now. We are getting ready for the last year with our youngest child, so bittersweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be in prayer for you and your little ones! God placed homeschooling on my heart a few years ago and I asked that if it was where He wanted us that He place it on my husband's heart as well. He faithfully answered. He will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have written this post, except the Canada part. I also feel passionately about homeschooling our kids, but it would require the Lord replacing my income and benefits and my husband seems stuck. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will pray for you and your decision

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in a very similar place right now too. I have four children: 6, 4, 3, and 1. I have always been open to the idea of homeschooling, but have asked God to make it clear to my husband, and then I would be happy to follow through whatever he decides. I taught first-grade before staying home once our first was born. Our oldest daughter has gone to school for the first year, and I believe she will got a couple of more years, but once she goes to third grade, she will change schools, so it seems an ideal time to change.
    For us, public school has been great because my husband is a pastor. We have been able to meet people without the title of "pastor's family" being a stumbling block to lost people. I don't feel that my daughter has brought home any negative traits or behaviors. There have been times she has chosen to take a stand for what she believes in, even though she has a Christian teacher. For example, we don't do Santa Claus. Her class was watching a video at Christmas that had him in it. We're not legalistic, it wouldn't have bothered us for her to watch it for fun, but she asked her teacher if she could go read books in the library instead. I was so proud of her.
    Anyway, I can so identify with where you're at! I pray for a firm answer from the Lord for you and your family!
    http://www.titus2moments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete