Sunday, June 10, 2012

Embracing Jesus - John 1:40-42












John 1:40-43Andrew, Simon Peters brother, who was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus.  The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, :we have found the Messiah" (that is the Christ).  Then he brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said "
"You are Simon son of John, You will be called Cephas" (which when translated is Peter). 


When I had first read this part of scripture I really wondered what on earth I could get from this moment.  Its another simple moment, but the more I looked at it and thought about it the past few days what came to my mind a lot was that Jesus had another name planned out for Simon and that was Peter.

When Simon met Jesus, his life would never be the same.  Jesus had a plan for him, and Peters name meant "rock." 

Can you imagine having the Messiah come to you and change your name?  Changing your name to the name He chose for you because it fits what plans He has for you?  I mean, back in those days perhaps it wouldnt be not as big of a deal, you would not have to change your drivers licence and such, but wow.  That would be a pretty intense moment.  Not even a "hello" is recorded, Jesus was straight to the point-  He wanted Simon and He had a purpose for Him.  

Peter, would deny Jesus three times and was one of "little faith."  Peter I think I can relate too, I waver, I dont know if I could deny Christ, but my mind definatly wants to over think and analyze so much.  Did Peters mind spin at a million miles a minute too?   He did try to walk on water later on.. he did take his eyes off Jesus and began to sink.  He doubted.  Jesus reached out for him though.  Jesus helped him in this time of doubt.  He would later go on to refuse Jesus to wash his feet.  He was hardly what we would see as a stable rock.  While its a wonderful thing that the church isnt built on this rock, but the rock of Christ (Acts 4:11, 1 Corinthians 3:11), Peter was the first one to take the gospel to the gentiles (Acts 1) and confessed that Jesus Christ was the Son of the Living God.  He set an example, even though it was messy as a lot of our walks can be, in the end He did fullfill his purpose in Christ and did end up becoming a rock for Christ, immovable and bringing the gospel... till he was killed for Christ (John 21:18-19), bringing glory to God.  He lived up to his name in the end. 

This passage did bring me hope in that moment that even though I can waver, that the more I spend time with Christ, that I can stand firm as well and fullfil my purpose in Christ, whatever that may be.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment